Sequoia Legal advises domestic and foreign companies and organizations, entrepreneurs and individuals on laws, regulations and practices governing exports, imports, cross-border investments and transfers of technology, and on structuring domestic and international business transactions, including foreign direct investment in the United States. Sequoia Legal counsels clients on foreign policy export controls, sanctions and embargoes administered by the Department of Commerce, the Department of State, and the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Our attorneys also assist both U.S. and foreign companies and persons in evaluating and addressing situations related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Sequoia Legal’s International Trade services include the following:
- Counseling and training for compliance with U.S. export controls and the FCPA, drafting and implementing corporate compliance plans.
- Advice and legal support on national security and foreign policy export controls administered by the Departments of Commerce, State and Treasury.
- Obtaining CCATs determinations from the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), applying for Commodity Jurisdiction Requests from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) and advising on applicability and exemption from US sanction programs.
- Obtaining export licenses for U.S. manufacturers and exporters from OFAC, BIS and the DDTC.
- Internal investigations and voluntary disclosures to government agencies of possible violations of U.S. international trade laws.
- Advice on import laws and procedures, including tariff classification, valuation, and special duty programs.
- Evaluation and advice on solutions to foreign market access barriers encountered by U.S. exporters.
- Advice on international contracts, including drafting documents and enforcement of contractual provisions.